Tuesday 14 May 2013

mirrors always seem to mess me up

I love to sing. ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to BE Whitney Houston (not be like her... BE her). I would sing for my teachers in elementary school, hoping i'd get my big break (little did I know, those elementary school teachers in the prairies of Alberta had NO connections to the Hollywood whatsoever). Then as I got older,and technology got better, I went from taping myself with my cassette deck by pressing record and play at the same time, then singing into my little plastic Sony microphone and sing my heart out, to singing into the teeny tiny mic attached to our computer, to now, singing into my Iphone. But one thing I did that made me feel SUPER AWESOME, something i'm sure, SURE that most if not all 90's kids did... wrote out all the lyrics to the songs I loved/wanted to impress people by knowing. I will NEVER forget being at my friends 9th (or 10th) birthday party, (it was her 10th... lol I just googled and did the math. 1993! anyway... off topic) and my sister and I rapped to Salt N Pepas "Shoop" It was awesome!! and we did it all from pausing the tape every few words or so, and writing them down. Kids these day got it so easy, with the google and all, but I remembered the words way better after hearing them individually, and writing them down. It was so exciting!!
Here are some of the songs I've butchered past and present, all because of NOT hearing the words right:

Whitney Houston "Run to you":
.... dooooon't make me CLOSE one more door... I don't wanna hurt anymooooore..." We always sang it 'don't make me oooh wanama do!..." haha

 JT "Mirrors":
no matter HOW HARD I TRY, i can't get the words "I couldn't get any bigger
With anyone else beside of me "... I ALWAYS (by accident I swear) sing "With anyone else INSIDE of me" WOOPS.


My baby sister used to mess up EVERY SINGLE SONG ever. including this one: 
"Beauty and the Beast"  her words? "tales.. and olden times... hoody troody be! Barely even friends! Lost along the way... Beauty and the Beast..." 

And finally,my other sister (not the one who messed up beauty and the beast...) just reminded me of a great one!
 Michael Jackson "Man in the Mirror" :
"No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer. If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place,Take A Look At Yourself And Then Make A Change"


Preeeetty sure we used to sing it like ... "no mehahas gutta be any clearer.. mmehna mehna mmmmm betta make that change" 

 Mike would have been so proud...



No comments:

Post a Comment